My DAWL - Writer's version of MSWL
Querying should be more like dating. More accurately, pre-dating.
Did you ever know a guy asking for dates indiscriminately. Every girl on campus. I mean, after a while, the queries ---I mean, date requests--- must sound like, "You don't want to go out with me, do you?" Or the girl looking for a prom date. "I don't care who I go with! I just want to go!"
If agents have a MSWL (Manuscript Wish List) to spell out what they're seeking, their ideal next client , where their mind is now, then it follows writers need something similar. A DAWL ---Dream Agent Wish List.
Because: If agents have an MSWL and writers have a DAWL, then instead of fishing in a big dark ocean, it's more like speed-dating. One two three, do I like you, do I don't?
And, go.
Jennie Dugan's DAWL:
Must be interested in historical fiction, and by that I mean, fictionalized history. You won't see Bridgerton from me, but you will see WW2 and its quiet heroes.
Must be interested in romance, deeply emotional, might be sexy, but not graphic. If your call-out is "Send me smut," you're lovely, but keep moving. Don't sit down. I can't write anything my kids or my father would be embarrassed to read. It's not you. It's me.
We like each other. Doesn't have to enter best-buds-land. Agent-writer is a business relationship. If we become friends, cool, but if, in a couple of books or so, it doesn't work anymore, we can have the wisdom to shake hands and part company cordially. I want to be excited about my agent, and I want them to be excited about me, but as needy as I may seem superficially, I'm seriously a mutually-beneficial business relationship type.
Must be reasonably pleasant and professional. You can expect the same from me.
I do have a tolerance for neurodiversity, including mood disorders. My ADHD or whatever the hell it is, has been dulled by time, a blessing of growing older.
I'm fine if you're LGBTQ+ as long as you're fine that I'm not. The diversity in my own family tree has taught me to see hearts, not labels.
Must be open to my active participation in promoting my books. The only thing that charges me up as much as writing is Sales. Every yes I get triggers my brain like triple cherries on a slot machine.
Must be bluntly honest. I can take it ---another benefit of age, I think.
Must be able to tolerate my need for coffee.
Willing to work with new agent, solo agent looking to make their mark in the literary world. Must be willing to work with debut novelist.
So, I'm available! Manuscript is complete! Call me!
Comments
Post a Comment